Living the Dream

Monday, May 12, 2008

One Year


We have hit our one year anniversary of California living. I think it has mostly been a good year. Owie and Claire had open houses at their schools. At the risk of sounding like a bragging mom, both teachers had terrific things to say about the kids. Words like: wonderful, model student, well rounded, pleasure to have in class. I'm still kinda new to school, maybe teachers say this to all of the parents but Bill and I were beaming for the rest of the day. The kids have adjusted extremely well to the cross country move. Another pro has been our physical health. This weather really agrees with our immune system. For the first time since since birth (I think) neither kid has been on an antibiotic this year. I don't know if CC grew out of her little wheeze problem or if it was caused by an allergy. All I know is that about a week after we moved to Cali we stopped giving her Pulmicort and we have not looked back! I guess the downside of the move would be the hard time we have had making connections with grown ups. People here are hard nuts to crack. My cheeks hurt from all of the friendly smiling I have been doing . We had such an easy time making super friends in Ohio, what gives? I have to take part of the blame. I only made it to one PTA meeting this year, and I have yet to find a babysitter. I was spoiled in Ohio by always having a few friends who were at the same meetings and sporting events and YMCA. Not to mention a couple of nice teenage girls that liked to babysit for neighbors. It feels weird to be sitting on the outskirts. Before you get to feeling all sorry for me, I do talk to a couple of people pretty regularly when CC and I pick Owen up from school and at Owie's baseball games. If I had a dollar for everytime someone (after finding out that we are new to the area) has said, "It's not just anywhere that you can snow ski in the morning and go surfing in the afternoon." I would probably have around 12$. Have yet to meet someone who has actually done this. To sum up, it has been a hard working year for all of us (especially Bill). My goal for the second year of California living is to have more fun, put myself out there and try to be a bit more (sigh) social. Photo taken one year ago, living in a motel, waiting for the moving truck with all of our possessions, a little crazy.

5 Comments:

Blogger YF said...

that is a great shot. i am so glad you guys moved closer to us. happy one year anniversary! the first year is the hardest...

3:55 PM  
Blogger Do the Puyallup said...

Wow, that went fast didn't it! Don't feel bad about the friend thing as Chuck and I have about 2. I made this friendship bread not too long ago, and the idea is that you keep one for yourself and pass on four bags to friends each time. Well, it made me realize that I did not have four friends. Poor me! On th bright side, I found out I could freeze it and then Chuck and I could eat it all. More cake for me!!!

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there, by the time you make friends, it will be time to move again......we worry the most about the kids making the adjustment to moving, and really it is the grown-ups that take longer making the change, go figure!XXOOMomC

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We thought about you on the 1yr anniv. Sad!! It is so good to read about you all. So positive and adjusted now compared to the beginning blogs. Keep Smiling. The Gangs

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great picture of you w/kids....you look gorgeous!
Agreed...first year is the hardest. By the second year in Frisco I made more friends.
Scott is already talking about moving again....ugh. No way....too hard on the kids and me!

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home